Canadians today face many reasons to refinance their mortgage.
Life happens! Mortgage refinancing can be the answer.
Refinancing your mortgage refers to the process of renegotiating your current mortgage agreement. A refinance allows you to pay off your existing mortgage and replace it with a new one. There are many reasons to consider mortgage refinancing, such as:
- to leverage large increases in property value
- take out equity for upgrades or renovations
- expand your investment portfolio
- consolidate debt
- get a better rate
- pay for post-secondary education
- manage a divorce
- change your mortgage from fixed to variable (or vice-versa).
Refinancing allows you to access up to 80% of your home’s equity. This can help reduce financial stress and get you back on track financially while still allowing you to meet your current obligations. A thorough review including your current mortgage contract, the goals you want to finance and your long-term plans will determine how best to:
- Access a Better Rate: One reason to refinance your mortgage is to get a better rate – this is especially true when done through a mortgage professional such as myself. On average, I have access to over 90 lenders! This allows me to find the best mortgage product for your unique needs.
- Consolidate Debt: There are many different types of debt from credit cards and lines of credit to school loans and mortgages. But, did you know that these types of debt have much higher interest rates than those you would pay on a mortgage? Refinancing can free up cash to help you pay out these debts! While it may increase your mortgage, your overall payments could be far lower and would be a single payment versus multiple sources. Keep in mind, you need at least 20 percent equity in your home to qualify.
- Modify Your Mortgage: Life is ever-changing and sometimes you need to pay off your mortgage faster or change your mortgage type. Refinancing can help with this too!
- Utilize Your Home Equity: If you need funds, you can refinance your mortgage to access up to 80% of your home’s appraised value!
As with everything, refinancing comes at a price! If you think that refinancing your mortgage could be the right solution, it is important to talk to your mortgage professional before making any changes to ensure you are not hit with surprise penalties. Talking to a mortgage broker about refinancing also ensures expert advice, plus access to even greater rates and mortgage plans to best suit your refinancing goals.
Call me today and let me know what you are planning and we can plan together!